The Governing Body consists of people from the academy's community, such as parents, staff, local businesses and the Police. Governors are volunteers and most serve for four years.
What do Governors Do?
Broadly, the Governing Body is responsible for setting the strategic direction for the academy, and to make sure it provides a good quality education for its pupils.
Working in partnership with the headteacher and the staff, governors are involved in:
- Setting the academy's annual aims and objectives
- Monitoring and improving standards of teaching and achievement
- Setting the academy's budget and monitoring expenditure
- Interviewing and appointing relevant staff
- Acting as a link between the local community and the academy
- Dealing with complaints about the academy
- Setting an improvement plan for all of the above and monitoring the success of the plan
The Governing Body meets at least three times each academic year; ie. once per term. Its work is supported by two committees – one for monitoring Academy finances and use of resources, and the other is concerned with the quality and standard of education provided. Full copies of the governance documents and policies, can be found here
Overall, the Governing Body has strategic responsibility for planning within the academy. They provide the headteacher with support and advice, drawing on their knowledge and experience. A summary of the current Governing Body Members for Equate Academy Trust can be found in the downloads section on the right hand side of this page, along with non-confidential documentation.
Contact / Any questions?
• have any questions;
• want to raise any issues with the Governors;
• are unable to find the information you want; or,
• you wish to apply to join the Governing Body,
please contact the Clerk to the Governors:
Clerk to the Governors C/O Witham St Hughs Academy, Muntjac Way, Witham St Hughs, Lincoln. LN6 9WF